Thursday, December 25, 2008

The Thirteenth Year

Well, tomorrow's my birthday, so it's time for my year in review.

This year was, like my cousin said it would be, pretty much shit. Yeah, things could have gone a lot worse, but in comparison to the rest of my life, it pretty much sucked. Not gonna go into detail, but being a thirteen year old girl pretty much just sucks. But some good things did happen, like -
a) I made a really really good friend-for-life kind of friend.
b) I got a Les Paul ^_^
c) I discovered my favorite movie, Across the Universe.
d) I ..... well ...... I fell in love ....... with that best-friend-for-life.
e) I went on the best field trip of my life to NYC with my school.
f) I started the 8th grade.
g) I survived the 7th grade.
h) I made a bunch of other new friends.
i) I rediscovered the Beatles.

So that's a pretty decent list off the top of my head. I mean, the year wasn't TOTAL shit, but it kinda was. I mean, some of that stuff is pretty insignificant as far as life goes. But, still. I dunno. I'm not like crying all "oh my life sucks blah blah blah." And believe it or not, some of that stuff is more significant than it might seem, like b and i. The Les Paul is a really big step in my 8 years of playing guitar (yep, I got my first guitar when I was six. I learned a few chords for the first three years, and started taking lessons at nine.) And I loved the Beatles from as young as I can remember until I was about eight or nine, and kinda forgot them. But one of the music shows I was in at school "re-opened my ears" to them, and now they really inspire me. I've become a much better songwriter and developed a better overall ear for music since I started listening to them again.

So, as compared to the rest of my life, I would give 13 2.5 out of 5 stars, maybe 3. Could be worse, eh?

No comments: